Homework: Complete tomorrow’s(Tuesday) Math Review questions.
Fieldtrip is Thursday. The following are a few reminders:
1. Dress for the weather and wear comfortable shoes.
2. Bring a bagged lunch(unless a school lunch was requested) and water.
3. No special transportation to school is needed that day. Our morning routine will be the same. We will board buses after announcements and leave at 9:00 AM sharp.
4. No electronics are permitted. Cellphones will be left at the school. If your child would like to take pictures, I recommend a disposable camera.
5. Thanks to all the chaperones that have volunteered their time, but remember, you are not permitted to bring other children/siblings along. You will be responsible for a small group of students throughout the fieldtrip. We should be back around 2:00, at which time we will finish the school day until dismissal at 3:45.
Students were offered an Ordering Fraction Models Extra Credit Assignment in class this week. It is due next Tuesday. No late work will be accepted.
**They were given specific instructions to show their work so I can see how they compared the fractions to one another. I will not give credit for “I did it in my head”.
We discussed possible strategies, and they all agree that converting them all to decimals would work, although there are other ways to show me how they ordered them.
Homework: Complete the “Sue’s outfit…” probability problem glued into your notebook. 1st – Show the fundimental counting principle.
2nd – Create 2 Sample Spaces(Tree Diagram and List) to show all of the possible outfit combinations Sue has to choose from. NEATNESS COUNTS!
**Refer to the completed examples in your notebook and be sure to think about how spread out the 1st choices are, so the rest of your tree diagram is NOT all crammed together. You will redo your work if needed.
3/21: Tomorrow is college basketball jersey day.
3/28: Next Wednesday is our fieldtrip with The Friends of The Rappahannock. Dress for the weather and wear very comfortable shoes. NO electronics permitted. No need for cash. Pack a lunch/snacks/water. If you requested a bagged school lunch, it will be ready for you.
Homework: Perimeter/Area/Volume SOL review sheet. Students were reminded to use the “Brain Dumps” for visual reminders as to what to do to calculate each. Parents, ask your kids to explain what the “Brain Dumps” are and how they use them. There is plenty of work to be shown.
**ELIMINATE MENTAL MATH ERRORS BY SHOWING YOUR WORK.
Please sign/return report card envelopes by end of week. Let us know if you are requesting a conference in the space provided on front of envelope.
If you scroll down to my 3/15 post, you’ll see several updates and calender reminders to be aware of.
Important reminders and updates:
- Report Cards were handed out today(3/15) for the 3rd 9 weeks. Keep the report card and sign the envelope. Check the space provded if a conference is requested, sign and return envelope only.
- The Book Fair started today with students beginning to preview during their encore period and will continue through the 22nd. Mr Sparico’s class has library next Thursday the 21st. That would be the best day to send your child in with $ to purchase. A flier was sent home with more details.
- Spring Picture Day is next Wednesday 3/20. Send NO $. A proof set will come home with details on how to purchase.
- Wednesday the 20th is also the LCES Curriculum Night/Family Book Fair Night from 5-7PM.
- March 25-29 Family Life Instruction will be taught during PE. All students participate unless an opt-out form was signed and returned.
- March 28th is our 5th Grade Field trip to the Friends of the Rappahannock. Dress for the weather, wear comfortable shoes, pack a lunch/snack/water(unless a school lunch was requeted). ***No electronics.
- March 29th is an LCES School Spirit Day and a PTA Treat Friday. Wear your school/club gear and bring a buck to buy a treat.
Homework: The fraction unit test was started today. Homework is to take notebooks home and review adding, subtracting, comparing and ordering fractions and decimals. This will be the 1st test grade for the 4th 9 weeks, so they will want to start off with a good grade.
Tomorrow is “Wear Green Day” to celbrate St Patrick’s Day. It is also the last day to take a photo with a leprechaun in the BETA Club Photo Booth($1.00)
The Book Fair begins tomorrow and ends next Friday. Make sure your kids are prepared to shop if they would like to purchase books next week. Mr. Sparico’s class has library on Thursday next week.
The LCES Family Book Fair/Curriculum Night is Wednesdy 3/20 from 5-7.
Homework: Students(some) from Ms Guedri and Ms Callahan’s classes have math review quiz corrections from last week to complete and turn in before announcements tomorrow.
All students were told there will be 2 assignments(see below) this week to review for every day, so notebooks should be coming home.
- Add/Subtract, compare/order fractions/mixed numbers/decimals.
- Mean/Meadian/Mode/Range/Stem-Leaf and Line plots.
Tomorrow 3.14.19 is National Pi(3.14….) Day. Mathematical Pi that is. **Send your kids in with some “Pi”e to celebrate with at lunch.
Tomorrow is also the LCES Talent Show from 6-8. ***Any BETA members interested in helping work the snack stand, please come out and help. I will be there along with Mrs St John to monitor and handle the $$. Our Club gets all the proceeds from amy sales tomorrow.
Homework: Students were told to take notebooks home every day this week and study for the Mean/Median/Mode/Range, Stem-Leaf Plot, Line-Plot Quiz. It could be any day this week. Study nightly to be prepared.
Interpreting sets of data can be hard. Any extra practice interpreting questions(see the ex’s in your notebook) related to these types of plots will help you do better on the assessment.
And remember what we talked about in class. When your homework is to study for a quiz/test, that is not a free pass for no homework. That means to actually open your notebook, find those notes and review.
Don’t forget to bring in a $1 to take a picture with one of the LCES Leprechaun’s for the BETA Club Fundraiser.
Check in with your homeroom teacher 1st. Pictures will be distributed sometime next week once they are developed.
Talent Show is Thursday 3/14 from 6-8. Come and be entertained.
Report Cards go home and Running Club starts this Friday 3/15.
This is a specific reminder for our 5th Grade BETA Club Leprechaun’s that are posing in the St Partick’s Day photo booth throughout the week.
PLEASE be here early(8:00 AM) to provde time to change into your costume on the day you are posing with students in the photo booth. Photo’s will begin at 8:15 sharp as students arrive.
If needed, wear your costume to school to eliminate the need to change once at school, but remember to bring a change of clothes for after the photo booth session.
Reminders for upcoming week:
3/11 – No school tomorrow for students(teacher work day).
3/12-3/15 – Get your picture taken with a LCES Leprechaun for $1 at the BETA Club St Patrick’s Day Photo Booth. 8:15-9:00 AM in the lobby. Proceeds will be donated to charity.
3/14 – Talent Show 6-8 pm.
3/15 – 3rd 9 Week Report Cards go home, Book Fair Begins, Reading Buddy Day and it is wear GREEN Day.